Preliminary/Functional Design audits occur at a critical stage in the design process where horizontal/vertical alignments, superelevation, sight lines, intersection layouts, access locations and all road user groups are considered.
Site inspections are undertaken at this stage to uncover any unknown existing features that may impact on the works, and to gain a general appreciation of the site conditions in relation to the proposed design.
Why undertake a Preliminary/Functional Design Stage Audit?
- Check that lane widths, batters and general road designs are acceptable at an early stage
- Check potential conflict points
- Avoid wasting time if only a detailed design is done and it turns up significant issues
- Check for potential hazards
- Check that all road users have been considered